Tuesday, June 1

Vote Randi!!!

I am running on green tea, and green tea alone. Actually, let's see....what it is? 3pm? Scratch that, I've a lil' whiskey up in me... Anyhow, moving on... Was anyone else lucky enough to watch the press conference with President Bush this morning? Whoa. Granted, I went into the whole affair with a biased, a left-leaning view, but seriously....I do not like cringing through more than half of a press conference in which MY president cannot answer ONE question without throwing in a cheesy talking point. Luckily for all those around me, I didn't play a Bushism drinking game. Getting hammered at 10 in the am isn't as fun as it used to be. No, no, rather than spend my time loaded in front of Fox News, I choose instead to drink my tea, type out thisentry with shaky hands, and criticize our current administration... Bits and Pieces... From FOX NEWS - June 1st, 2004: (Notable Quotables in BOLD) QUESTION: Mr. President, I'd like to ask you about your goals for this -- your trip coming up later this week to Europe vis-a-vis your plan on the Middle East peace initiative. What do you hope in a concrete way to bring home? BUSH: I'm giving a speech at the Air Force Academy that'll help answer your question. QUESTION: (OFF-MIKE) (LAUGHTER) BUSH: They do have C-SPAN, you know. I mean, I'll be glad to rent it for you for an hour. I'm going to talk about the war on terror, the clash of ideology. It's important for our partners to understand -- I don't view it as American democracy, nor do I think it's going to happen overnight. I'll remind them that the Articles of Confederation was a rather bumpy period for American democracy. And so we're talking about reform in their image but reform at the insistence and help -- with the help of the free world. And I think it's possible, and I know it's necessary, that we work toward democracy in the Middle East. Because a society that is not free and not democratic is a society that's likely to breed resentment and anger and therefore a society that makes the recruitment of young terrorists more likely. The idea is to find common spirit in our willingness to work in a variety of ways in the greater Middle East to achieve democratic societies, to work with reformers, to work on education processes that teach people to read and write and add and subtract, not to hate. And always reminding people that the war on terror is not a war against a particular religion and that the war on terror is not a war against a particular civilization. It's a war against -- people have got this perverted vision about what the world should look like. And at my Air Force Academy speech, which you won't be at, I'll remind people that part of their objective is to drive the United States from countries in the Middle East so that they can flow their hatred into a vacuum. And it's very important that we not retreat, but not only stay the ground but also work toward democratic institutions and reform. QUESTION: So far, sir, Congress hasn't responded to your calls to do anything about rising oil prices. You've already said you want them to pass your energy bill and they aren't. So what... BUSH: Yes. So go ask Congress why they haven't passed the energy bill. And I'll repeat it again: Congress, pass the energy bill. QUESTION: But what more can you do, as prices rise? BUSH: I can continue calling upon Congress to pass the energy bill and to make sure the American consumers are being treated fairly. But what you're seeing at the gas pumps is something I've been warning for two years, and that is that we're hooked on foreign sources of energy and that if we don't become less dependent on foreign sources of energy we will find higher prices at our gas pumps. It's precisely what happened. Had we drilled in ANWR back in the mid-'90s, we'd be producing an additional million barrels a day, which would be taking enormous pressure off the American consumer. QUESTION: Mr. President, you said the United States (OFF-MIKE) would you like to go to Iraq before the end of the year (OFF-MIKE) BUSH: I would like to. But I'm not so sure that would be wise yet. QUESTION: It's not secure? BUSH: Well, I don't know. You're asking me to project six months down the road. And -- five months down the road. And that's the classic hypothetical: Will Iraq be secure enough for me to go to Iraq? I would hope it would be. And if it is, then whether or not I can go is another question. QUESTION: Would you like to (OFF-MIKE) BUSH: I'd love to go back to Iraq at some point in time. I really would. I'd like to be able to stand up and say, "Let me tell you something about America. America's a land that's willing to sacrifice on your behalf. We sent our sons and daughters here so you can be free. And not only that, we're a compassionate country. We want to help you rebuild your schools and your hospitals." I'd like to do that. I really would. I'd like to also go to Afghanistan. And by the way, the reports from Afghanistan, at least the ones I get, are very encouraging. You know, we've got -- people who have been there last year and have been back this year report a different attitude. And they report people have got a sparkle in their eye. And women, now, all of a sudden, no longer fear the future but believe that we're there to stay the course, and we will help a free society emerge. Both of which, a free society and a free Afghanistan, are very important to a future, a future world that is peaceful because freedom is the bulwark of the value system inculcated in those countries. Well, he addressed the "classic hypothetical," but nary a reporter in the garden asked the classic rhetorical:

HOW THE FUCK IS THIS GUY IN OFFICE??!

No comments: