Tuesday, April 5

Fuzzy Math & Sticky Digits

The fine folks over at Editor & Publisher ran a story on Bush's sinking approval ratings. At this point in his second term, his rating has dropped to the lowest level of ANY president since World War II.
Bush's current rating is 45%. The next lowest was Reagan with 56% in March 1985.
Go figure. I guess Dubya isn't as infallible as the Pope, whose death he's desperately trying to work into his current, shit-stained public image.
Here are the approval ratings for presidents as recorded by Gallup in the March following their re-election:
Truman, 1949: 57%.
Eisenhower, 1957: 65%.
Johnson, 1965: 69%.
Nixon, 1973: 57%.
Reagan, 1985: 56%.
Clinton, 1997: 59% .
Bush, 2005: 45% .
Eat it.
In local (Hidalgo Co, TX) news, Judge Ed Aparicio was found dead in his home yesterday. A single gunshot wound to the head ended his life. He'd been the target of FBI investigations into allegations that he accepted bribes from attorneys. He was never indicted.
After unexpectedly missing a trial the day before his death, he faxed this note of resignation to the local media:
"The demands of my position as your Judge have unfortunately taken a toll on my personal life. I am resigning from the bench to dedicate more time and energy to my family and to personal family matters that require immediate attention," the release stated. "I wish to thank the citizens of Hidalgo County for their support during my three terms as Judge. I trust that they will understand that stepping down from the bench is an important step to take at this time."
Though not official, it seems this is being ruled as a suicide. It smells fishy to me.

No comments: